Parish Council meeting: Tuesday, 3 March 2020

Key information

Meeting location: The Church of St James, Avonwick

Meeting time: 7.30 pm

Sound Recording You can download the audio recording for this meeting or use the player embedded in this page after the download link. Download the audio file here.

Agenda for the Parish Council meeting on Tuesday, 3 March 2020

Agenda for the NHPC meeting to be held at 7.30pm on Tuesday 3rd March 2020 at St James’s Church, Avonwick.

1:             Open Forum

For parishioners to raise matters of concern relevant to the work of the Parish Council

(NB matters concerning other bodies e.g. SWW, SHDC and DCC should normally be referred directly to such bodies.  The Parish Council would try assist where difficulties arise after such a referral has taken place.)

2:             Apologies for absence

To receive apologies for absence (if any)

3:             Declarations of Interest

To receive declarations of interest (if any)

4:             Previous Minutes

To agree the Minutes of the meeting held on 4th February 2020

5:             Matters Arising

To discuss items arising from those Minutes

6:             Reports

To receive Reports from

  1. County Councillor Hosking
  2. District Councillor Pannell or Smerdon
  3. others (if any)

7:             Planning

To consider Planning Applications and to note decisions

  1. Application for the erection of a hobby/craft room at Brushford, Diptford

8:             Correspondence

To consider correspondence received.

9:             Finance

To note recent and future income and expenditure.

10:          Highways

To consider Highway matters.

11:          Mobile ‘phone signal in Avonwick

Survey to investigate signal strength in Avonwick

12:          Next meeting

To consider items for future meetings

To agree upon a date for the next Meeting. (7th April 2020?)

Approved Minutes

Approved Minutes for the Parish Council meeting on Tuesday, 3 March 2020

These minutes were approved on 14 July 2020

Please noteEvery care has been taken to present this accessible copy of the minutes with accuracy, but the formal record of the meeting remains the signed paper copy of the minutes.

1:      Open Forum

There were two members of the public present. Mr M Cameron of the Avon Inn in Avonwick was present to discuss with the Council ways and means of overcoming parking problems when special events are held at the Inn. Mr Cameron stated that problems occur when the weather is too bad for a local field to be used as a car park.  On the recent occasion an area at the Woodpecker had been brought into use but it was not big enough to provide a complete solution. The Council agreed that it wished to support the Inn in its work which was achieving considerable success and was highly valued by parishioners. Mr Cameron told the Council that over three and a half thousand pounds had been collected at these events for charitable use over the past three years. Charities supported included funding towards the defibrillator in Avonwick and donations to the Devon Air Ambulance. It was agreed that the Parish Council would investigate the cost of purchasing “no parking cones” for use on such occasions and that the Avon Inn would make available to the Council details of dates and routes of future planned activities.

The Council was told of attempts to prevent flooding to certain homes at Higher Moor during the recent heavy rain. Sincere thanks were made to Mr Widdicombe for his work in clearing drainage channels. Residents were reminded that the Council had provided both sand and bags for them to use to help prevent flooding. This facility is located in a corner of the Inn car park.


Councillors Gabriel, Bell, Grevatt, Hunt, Luscombe, Seager-Berry, Steer, County Councillor Hosking and District Councillor Smerdon.

2:      Declarations of Interest

None declared.

3:      Minutes

The minutes of the meeting held the on 4th February 2020 were confirmed and signed. Proposed Cllr. Steer seconded Cllr. Bell.

4:      Matters Arising

The Council had been informed that the “empty” community home in Avonwick was, in fact, occupied. This “fact” was disputed and further investigations were requested.

5:      Reports

County Council

Councillor Hosking reported on the progress being made with the upcoming budget for the County which would see a 4% rise this year. He also told the Council of developments concerning the Devon Carbon Plan. Cllr. Hosking made the Council aware of possible funding for projects.

District Council

District Councillor Smerdon reported on the District Council’s budget plans. He told the Council of two new officer appointments to the District Council. He also described future changes to the organisation of household waste collection. He suggested that parishioners should pay careful attention to government announcements concerning the Coronavirus that is making its presence felt.

6:      Planning

The Council gave its support to an application for a hobby/craft room at Brushford, Diptford. Proposed Cllr. Bell seconded Cllr.Seager-Berry.

Concerns were raised over an apparent lack of attention paid by the District Council to Parish Council recommendations over planning matters. Ward Councillors were asked to ensure that the decisions of the Parish Council were given due merit.

7:      Correspondence

Specific items were noted as follows:

  • Letter from Communications, South Hams District Council re Climate Change. Noted.
  • Email from Cllr, Smerdon re Waste Collection changes. Clerk to invite speaker to the APM to explain the new plans.
  • Chairman to contact owners of ‘phone box in North Huish re its use as a defibrillator base.

8:      Finance

Balance c/f  7,590.51
Inc (int)  0.33
Exp (Display panel)  76.93
Exp (Buddle holes)  348.00
Balance  7,165.91

It was agreed to transfer the unspent balance from  play park grass cutting to the Buddle hole maintenance fund

9:      Highways

The Council was made aware of concerns relating to a culvert near Beneknowle.

Cllr Hosking was able to inform the Council that Highways were aware of the situation and that the matter was in hand.

10:   Mobile Phone Survey

The survey had been circulated and responses were in the process of being collated.

11:   Items for next meeting

  • Play park inspection and maintenance.
  • The mobile ‘phone survey.
  • North Huish Defibrillator

12:   Next Meeting

Tuesday 7th April 2020 at 7.30pm

at St James’s Church, Avonwick.
























































Approved by …………………………………….


on 7th April 2020