North Huish covers the village of North Huish and most of Avonwick, and stretches south to the edges of Gara Bridge and California Cross.

The map below shows the area covered by North Huish Parish Council and the neighbouring parish councils of Diptford, Ugborough, South Brent, Modbury and Loddiswell.


 

Why the parish is called ‘North Huish’

Many people wonder why the parish is called ‘North Huish’ when the biggest village in the parish is Avonwick. In fact, Avonwick is a relatively modern addition to the parish.

The original parish was named North Huish, because that village existed long before Avonwick and had the only church within the parish boundary. Avonwick was only named in 1870, and parts of the village were in different parishes until late in the 20th century, when the boundaries were altered to move the shop, church and nearby properties into North Huish.